Saturday, March 28, 2020

New Idea!

Hey guys! So yesterday, Nick had work but suggested that I talked to some people who graduated from our tv program about some ideas for our short film. Both of us were truly stuck and didn’t know what to do so I decided to FaceTime our good friend, Carolina Rapp :)


I shared the ideas Nick and I previously mentioned and she suggested we go for the last story idea about the girl trying to overcome a break up. She suggested that we try and find a bigger picture to the story. What is the purpose? What could make this story unique from the average film about a breakup? She also suggested that we try to develop the story of the break up to help us reach that five minute goal. These were all valid points and I decided to bring them up to Nick the next day. When Nick and I got on FaceTime once again today, he didn’t sound very confident about this idea. He mentioned how it was cliché and I agree but we couldn’t think of anything else. Since we were way behind our original intended schedule due to the Coronavirus, he just wanted to move on and be able to complete something. I completely understood where he was coming from. Both of us are worried about finishing on time, however I want to make sure we are both on the same page before we continue. We ended up leaving it on that idea and ended our FaceTime call because Nick had to go to work. I knew he wasn’t fully for this idea so I decided to keep searching and in that process, I decided to FaceTime my partner from last year: Eugenia Scheuren. 


Eugenia and I worked on the film opening together last year for AICE Media Studies AS and is currently studying Broadcast Journalism in college. Eugenia and I are still really close friends to this day and I casually began telling her about our situation with this short film and she started suggesting some story ideas that Nick and I could potentially use. The first idea she started telling me about was about this family who moves into a new house and is told to never open a specific door. One of the characters becomes curious and opens that door. When she first mentioned it, I was a little hesitant but then we just started going back and forth on how Nick and I would be able to add to that storyline and ended up with this: 
  • A character moves into a new apartment and is told to always make sure one specific door/closet is locked (creating suspense/mystery). At night, the character hears a strange noise coming from that door/closet. The character is curious since it keeps them up at night and attempts to open it. Once they open the closet, they find a single box. Suspense is built to only learn that it was an old toy making that sound. (adds a bit of comedy) 
I honestly liked this idea a lot better than the previous one Nick and I “agreed on”. I knew Nick was at work but I decided to text him that idea and he would reply whenever he sees it. Nick also agreed that he liked this idea much more. I asked him what we could add and here was what he thought of:


I really liked his idea of adding the scene where the power company mentions they are testing their signals once the family moves in. It doesn’t give away the ending of the film but adds a slight hint.

Nick and I both prefer this idea and I’m glad we both like it. I’m going to start writing out the script and Nick is beginning to think of a film title and character names! Hopefully we can get pre-production done quickly since we are running a little short on time. Until next time…
                                                                                                                                    ~rtmedias

No comments:

Post a Comment